søndag den 17. august 2014

Silas Nimai

I have been quite busy lately, so havent written in a while, but now I`m back. One of the things which has taken my time has been planning the name celebration for Silas. It ended up being a really nice day. As I told you in my previous post Silas Nimai means forrest/tree + light/shining, so we celebrated his arrival in this world and his name with a lantern party in the forrest. Unfortunately I almost forgot to take photos, so I only have a few.

The party was held in a cottage in the forrest. Both Silas and his father were wearing traditional Nepalese clothes, and I was wearing my Norwegian national costume.

After welcoming people and introducing the guests, we started off with making lanterns. Everybody was asked to make their own, as a symbol of giving him light and make this concrete. After making the lanterns we had a short kind of ceremony, where we wished Silas welcome to the world with the help from a nice song (I`ll add the youtube video, but its in Swedish, and as the words are the most important thing in the song, it might not make so much sense to everybody) The song is about wishing a small baby welcome to this world and giving him love.



At the same time as playing the song, I started sending a flame from my candle around the table. With my candle I lit the the next persons candle, and so it continued around the whole table, so that everybody got light from the person sitting next to them. Eventyually we were sitting in a circle of light, and then we lightened the lanterns. With the lights we wished Silas a bright and happy future, and we sang a song which I had made for him about this.

After the light ceremony we had delicious nepalese food, brought out to us in the forrest, from a nepalese & tibetan restaurant.

Later we were supposed to have a quiz walk in the forrest, but as the weather was not so good at this time we did it in and around the cottage instead. Everybody had got a colour on the back of their name sign, and everybody with the same colour were on the same team. I had hidden the posts, and the questions they were supposed to find and answer were about Silas and things related to him.

We also sang a lot of songs, while my brother played the guitar. Silas will be able to read about this all in some years, as we had brought a book for everybody to write and paint in.

In the evening we had cakes and coffee, and in the later evening we put all the lanterns outside, to see them glow in the dark. They looked really nice while standing there and shining through the darkness, as a symbol of all the happy wishes we have made for him and his future.


Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar